Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and perfect for a quick and satisfying meal. Whether you’re looking for a warm bowl of soup on a chilly day or a light lunch, learning how to make tomato soup at home is a great skill to have in your cooking arsenal. In this article, we’ll go over the steps to make a delicious and creamy tomato soup that is sure to impress your family and friends.
To make tomato soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes have released their juices and are soft.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the tomatoes are completely soft.
- Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup until it’s smooth. Be careful when blending hot liquids in a regular blender as they can expand and cause the blender to overflow. If you’re using a regular blender, blend the soup in small batches.
- Once the soup is smooth, return it to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. You can adjust the amount of cream to your liking, depending on how creamy you want the soup to be.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the soup over low heat until it’s hot and ready to serve. Serve the soup with some crusty bread or crackers.
Tips for Making Tomato Soup:
- Choose ripe tomatoes: The key to making delicious tomato soup is to use ripe and flavorful tomatoes. Look for tomatoes that are bright red and slightly soft to the touch. If you can’t find fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes instead.
- Use vegetable broth: Using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth will give the soup a lighter and fresher flavor.
- Add herbs: You can add fresh herbs like basil, oregano or thyme to the soup for extra flavor. Add them towards the end of cooking so that they don’t lose their flavor.
- Use an immersion blender: An immersion blender is the easiest way to puree the soup directly in the pot. It’s less messy and saves you the trouble of transferring the soup to a blender.
- Make it creamy: Adding heavy cream to the soup will give it a creamy and luxurious texture. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can substitute it with half and half or milk.
- Customize the soup: You can add other vegetables like carrots or celery to the soup to make it more nutritious. You can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
Storing Tomato Soup:
Tomato soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When reheating the soup, be sure to heat it over low heat until it’s hot and bubbly.
Making tomato soup at home is a simple and satisfying process that yields delicious results. By following these easy steps, you can create a warm and comforting bowl of soup that is perfect for any occasion.