Shahi paneer is a delicious and creamy North Indian dish that is loved by people all over the world. It is made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a rich tomato-based gravy with a blend of aromatic spices. This dish is perfect for special occasions or just to indulge in a decadent meal.
To make shahi paneer, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams paneer
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 green cardamom pods
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (for garnishing)
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s get started with the recipe:
- Cut the paneer into bite-sized cubes and set them aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and green cardamom pods. Sauté for a few seconds until they release their aroma.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for a minute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add soaked cashews and raisins and cook for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down for a few minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture back to the pan and add the cubed paneer. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and mix well. Cook for a few minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with naan or rice.
- You can add more or less heavy cream depending on how creamy you want the gravy to be.
- Soaking cashews in water before blending them will make the gravy more smooth and more creamy.
- If you don’t have ghee, you can use butter or oil instead.
Shahi paneer is a rich and indulgent dish that is perfect for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself to something delicious. It is easy to make and requires just a few ingredients that are easily available in most Indian households. This dish can be customized to your taste by adjusting the number of spices and creams. Serve it with naan or rice for a complete meal.
In conclusion, shahi paneer is a popular North Indian dish that is loved by people all over the world. It is a rich and creamy dish that is perfect for special occasions or just to indulge in a decadent meal. This recipe is easy to make and requires just a few ingredients that are easily available in most Indian households. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with your cooking skills!