There’s so much more to labor day than just a day of rest and relaxation. These Labor Day quotes aim to honor and celebrate the hardest working people in the world.
- 1 What is Labor Day?
- 2 When was the first Labor Day?
- 3 Inspirational Quotes About Labor Day
- 4 Happy Labor Day quotes to give you an extra push
- 5 Happy Labor Day quotes to keep you going
- 6 Inspirational Labor Day quotes
- 7 Labor Day quotes to inspire success
- 8 More Labor Day quotes to motivate you
- 9 What other Happy Labor Day quotes would you add to the list?
What is Labor Day?
As defined on the United States Department of Labor website:
“Labor Day is “the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.”
When was the first Labor Day?
According to the United States Department of Labor website:
“The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The Central Labor Union held its second Labor Day holiday just a year later, on September 5, 1883.
By 1894, 23 more states had adopted the holiday, and on June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed a law making the first Monday in September of each year a national holiday.”
And, as we prepare children for a new year of school, it’s important to take a minute to honor all the hard and amazing work that is going on around us.
So before you get back to loving the well deserved day off, enjoy some beautiful Labor Day quotes!
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Inspirational Quotes About Labor Day
1. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. “A hundred times every day, I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.” – Albert Einstein
3. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”- Confucius
4. “Work is no disgrace; the disgrace is idleness.” – Greek Proverb
5. “I’ve learned from experience that if you work harder at it and apply more energy and time to it, and more consistency, you get a better result. It comes from the work.” – Louis C.K.
6. “Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “There is precious little hope to be got out of whatever keeps us industrious, but there is a chance for us whenever we cease work and become stargazers.” – H.M. Tomlinson
8. “A man is not paid for having a head and hands, but for using them.” – Elbert Hubbard
9. “Before the reward there must be labor. You plant before you harvest. You sow in tears before you reap joy.” – Ralph Ransom
10. “The supreme accomplishment is to blur the lines between work and play.” – Arnold J. Toynbee
Happy Labor Day quotes to give you an extra push
11. “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” – Theodore Roosevelt
12. “It is labor indeed that puts the difference on everything.” – John Locke
13. “As we celebrate Labor Day, we honor the men and women who fought tirelessly for workers’ rights, which are so critical to our strong and successful labor force.” – Elizabeth Esty
14. “Labor Day is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race or nation.” – Samuel Gompers
15. “Labor Day means grilling outside!” – Katie Lee
16. “I’ve heard of nothing coming from nothing, but I’ve never heard of absolutely nothing coming from hard work.”— Uzo Aduba
17. “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”— Aristotle
18. “Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don’t let anyone limit your dreams.”— Donovan Bailey
19. “There is no substitute for hard work.”— Thomas A. Edison
20. “Just try new things. Don’t be afraid. Step out of your comfort zones and soar, all right?”— Michelle Obama
Happy Labor Day quotes to keep you going
21. “When you put a lot of hard work into one goal and you achieve it, that’s a really good feeling.”— Derek Jeter
22. “Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.”— Maya Angelou
23. Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.– Booker T. Washington
24. To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth. -Pearl S. Buck
25. Concentrate on your job and you will forget your other troubles.– William Feather
26. The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. –Vince Lombardi
27. “If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all.” – Michelangelo
28. “Your friends will believe in your potential, your enemies will make you live up to it.” – Tim Fargo
29. “It doesn’t matter how great your shoes are if you don’t accomplish anything in them.” – Martina Boone
30. “Though you can love what you do not master, you cannot master what you do not love.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
Inspirational Labor Day quotes
31. “Work isn’t to make money; you work to justify life.” – Marc Chagall
32. “If you care about what you do and work hard at it, there isn’t anything you can’t do if you want to.”― Jim Henson
33. “Our labour preserves us from three great evils — weariness, vice, and want.”― Voltaire
34. “Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.” – Madeleine L’Engle
35. “All happiness depends on courage and work.”― Honoré de Balzac
36. “Employment is nature’s physician, and is essential to human happiness.” – Galen
37. “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”― Douglas Adams
38. “Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds.”― Gordon B. Hinckley
39. “Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another.” – Anatole France
40. “I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”― Jerome K. Jerome
41. “Without labor nothing prospers.” – Sophocles
42. “A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labor and there is invisible labor.”― Victor Hugo
43. “The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”― Jimmy Johnson
44. “We often miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work”― Thomas A. Edison
45. “Make your work to be in keeping with your purpose”― Leonardo da Vinci
Labor Day quotes to inspire success
46. “Either you run the day or the day runs you.” – Jim Rohn
47. “If I had nine hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first six sharpening my axe.” —Abraham Lincoln
48. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
49. “The only way to achieve the impossible is to believe it is possible.” —Charles Kingsleigh
50. “Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.” –
51. “The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it’s yours.” —Ayn Rand
52. “Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.” – Abraham Lincoln
53. “The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.”– Harry Golden
54. “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” –
Martin Luther King, Jr.
55. “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” —Vince Lombardi
More Labor Day quotes to motivate you
56. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – Paulo Coelho
57. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me?” —Ayn Rand
58. “Don’t wish it were easier. Wish you were better.” – Jim Rohn
59. “You learn the value of hard work by working hard.” – Unknown
60. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Confucius
61. “If you don’t burn out at the end of each day, you’re a bum.”– George Lois
62. “You will never plough a field if you only turn it over in your mind.” –
63. “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” – Pelé
64. “Happiness is the real sense of fulfillment that comes from hard work.”
65. “Yesterday’s home runs don’t win today’s games.” —Babe Ruth
Thank you to everyone who continues to make their mark, work hard, make sacrifices and contribute to society!