These Gladiator quotes will bring back the excitement you felt while watching the movie.
The movie Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe as Maximus, was released in 2000. If you missed the movie, or need a recap, it’s a thrilling movie of revenge.
Maximus is a Roman General that has led his soldiers into victory. The emperor wants Maximus to take over his position instead of his own son, Commodus.
This doesn’t go over well when Commodus hears this. He kills his father and eventually the wife and son of Maximus, who ends up being sold as a slave and trained as a Gladiator. The story follows his quest for revenge on Commodus.
Also check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
Gladiator Quotes from Commodus
1. “A general who became a slave. A slave who became a gladiator. A gladiator who defied an emperor. Striking story! But now, the people want to know how the story ends. Only a famous death will do. And what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena?” – Commodus
2. “Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. I don’t think there’s ever been a gladiator to match you. As for this young man, he insists you are Hector reborn. Or was it Hercules? Why doesn’t the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name.” – Commodus
3. “You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but… there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn’t want me for your son.” – Commodus
4. “How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.” – Commodus
5. “You loved my father, I know. But so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn’t it? Smile for me now, brother.” – Commodus
6. “I search the faces of the gods… for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug… where you pressed me to your chest and held me tight. Would have been like the sun on my heart for a thousand years. What is it in me that you hate so much?” – Commodus
7. “All I’ve ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar. Father.” – Commodus
Gladiator Quotes from Maximus
8. “My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true Emperor Marcus Aurelius, father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife – and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.” – Maximus
9. “Five thousand of my men are out there in the freezing mud. Three thousand of them are bloodied and cleaved. Two thousand will never leave this place. I will not believe they fought and died for nothing.” – Maximus
10. “Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear.” – Maximus
11. “Imagine where you will be, and it will be so.” – Maximus
12. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
13. “To my son – I tell him I will see him again soon. To keep his heels down while riding his horse. To my wife… that is not your business.” – Maximus
14. “Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity that you have taught me.” – Maximus
15. “What we do in life…..echoes in eternity.” – Maximus
16. “I’ve seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.” – Maximus
17. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
Gladiator Quotes from Proximo
18. “You should see the Colosseum Spaniard. Fifty-thousand Romans… watching every movement of your sword… willing you to make that killer blow. The silence before you strike and the noise afterwards. It rises. It rises up… like a storm. As if you were the thunder god himself.” – Proximo
19. “Ultimately, we are all dead men. Sadly we cannot choose how but we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.” – Proximo
20. “Gladiators… I salute you.” – Proximo
21. “We are nothing but dust and shadows. Dust and shadows!” – Proximo
Gladiator Quotes from Marcus Aurelius
22. “There was once a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile.” –Marcus Aurelius
23. “Death smiles on us all. All a man can do is smile back.” – Marcus Aurelius
24. “How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? There was once a dream that was Rome.” – Marcus Aurelius
25. “Commodus. Your faults as a son is my failure as a father.” – Marcus Aurelius
26. “Save the bulls. Honor Maximus. He won the battle.” – Marcus Aurelius
More Gladiator Quotes
27. “You have a great name. He must kill your name before he kills you.” – Juba
28. “Fear and wonder, a powerful combination.” – Gracchus
29. “Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome.” – Lucilla
30. “People should know when they’re conquered.” – Quintus
Did these Gladiator quotes inspire you to fight?
Watching the movie and reading through the quotes above can leave you feeling ready to fight for justice. If you’re ready to take action, look for an area that you can invest your time and energy to serve in.
Hopefully, it’s not going to be a fight to the death as a Gladiator. But it could be for something like social justice, animal conservation, or feeding hungry children.
Movies and writers have a way of stirring up emotion in us that makes us want to do something. Tap into that energy and find a cause that you care about to invest in.
Did you enjoy these Gladiator quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.